Tuesday, September 1, 2015

This Day Went to the Birds

Today started with me in the bathroom thinking it was ironic that a vulture was roosting in our dead tree. And unusual.

Then said vulture floated down to our back yard.

That's never happened before. My curiosity was piqued. I shot a picture from the kitchen, through the deck railing and out into the yard. Tell me I'm not nimble!


Doesn't he look regal? Like a king with a headpiece and a cloak?

Bo killed another rabbit, and two vultures were taking advantage of the opportunity to eat it. We tried to get pics without disturbing them, but as we creeped around the fence they must have smelled us, so they took to the air. The King tossed the carcass over the fence but I don't think they've come back, apparently we spoiled their feast.

This tree root is pretty. I'm not sure what's happening here, but I consider it art.


I took a stroll around the courtyard and looked for photo ops.



This afternoon I cleaned and refilled the birdfeeders and baths. Normally all the birds fly away while I do it, and the goldfinches linger a bit but they eventually fly off too.

But this one didn't fly away.


She let me come right up to her, and when she got uncomfortable (as I offered her food from my hand), she merely hopped to another limb. So I grabbed my camera and snapped some pics.

Even with food on her face she let me snap pics.


I kept wondering if it was really food or some weird bubble and maybe she was sick. I couldn't fathom her letting me get so close otherwise. So I went outside to find her because now I was concerned and my curiosity got the better of me.

This time she let me accompany her on a stroll through the yard. I was about a foot away the whole time.

I think I'm in love!

I filmed a short video because I figured I may never get the chance again.

Click here if you want to see the video.


So tiny. And even though they're yellow, they do actually blend into the grass if you don't know where to look.

I have concluded that because they're young they don't know any better.

When the King came home I took him out to see the baby goldfinches and he actually touched her but she wouldn't hop onto his finger.



Her friend didn't seem to mind me either, but she's slightly more skittish and won't let us too close.






By the way, I'm drinking a mango smoothie and actually like it. The King followed the recipe in the book but added basil, and I think basil offsets the rotten-flavor aspect of the fruit that I hate. So there you have it. I have eaten eggs and mango...

I leave you with this floating baby grasshopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment