Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Preparing for Lockdown

The Queen is hatching her hatching plan.

This is my understanding of how the process works:

On Day 18 (tomorrow!), it's time to prepare for the hatchlings. This means removing the egg turner completely and placing a non-slip surface on the floor of the incubator so the chicks don't end up with splayed legs. Our incubator is made of styrofoam and has water channels at the bottom. On top of that is a wire grate which could cut their uncoordinated little legs, and holes they could get their legs stuck in. So I'm going to cover it.


The basic layout.

I candled the eggs one last time this evening and tossed three of them. This was to check for eggs that that stopped developing. Some people also recommend marking the air sac, because if the chicks begin to pip elsewhere, they may need help to finish hatching. Pipping is breaking through the shell. So I have done that.

I hope no one needs help because if they haven't absorbed the yolk and you start breaking the shell, they can bleed to death. But then I guess if they're having trouble they are probably going to die and all you can do is cross your fingers and hope to save them. But then... I also guess... if I'm not supposed to open the incubator until the chicks are dry and fluffy... they may not make it anyway... but we'll see.

At this point the eggs don't need to be turned anymore, and here's why they shouldn't be turned: The chicks will begin to position themselves for the hatch, orienting themselves toward the air sac, and moving them around only causes them to expend unnecessary energy to get back into position. So at this point, you just lay them flat on top of the shelf liner and close the lid.

However... in another article someone made a really good point... by removing the egg turner I will be lowering the eggs away from the heating elements, which will affect the temperature of the egg. Too much fluctuation can be deadly. So I have to raise the wire grate by approximately an inch to maintain the right temp.


The King's solution is to put one of those cooling racks underneath. $3 at Walmart. Done.

Then it's time for lockdown. No more opening the incubator. Just sit back and chew your fingernails to nubs relax with several glasses a glass of wine while you wait for chicks to hatch.

But not quite so fast.... You also have to make sure there is adequate ventilation in the incubator. Ours has two small holes on the top. One is currently taped over; I'll remove the tape so more air can circulate.

Last part of the process is to increase the humidity to about 65%. I get one last chance to fill the water channels. After that it gets tricky because you're not supposed to open the incubator anymore. Doing so causes the humidity levels to drop too much, and most importantly, if a chick has hatched, it needs to be dry and fluffy before the incubator is opened. I'm sure they all hatch at different rates, but at the end they absorb the yolk and can go up to three days without eating so early birds and late bloomers should all be fine.

So... remember those air holes I mentioned previously? I plan to insert milkshake straws through them (they're bigger and more rigid than drinking straws). That way they don't block the airflow, but I can pour water into the incubator as needed.

I plan to put sponges underneath the straws, the idea being that they will supplement the humidity and get the numbers up to what they need to be. Filling the water channels seems to keep the humidity at about 50%... but I won't be able to fill them with the lid closed and shelf liner over them.

Humidity is important because if the eggs get too dry, the albumen can shrink around the chick and suffocate it. Like shrink wrap. Doesn't sound fun. Even if that doesn't happen, low humidity makes it harder for the chick to break through the shell.

At that point I'll set my alarm for 30 mins, adjusting it out until I know about how often I need to re-wet the sponges to maintain the humidity.

So... um... some people say it's an easy process, but it seems to me there are a million ways it could all turn to shit. It's my first time attempting this and I don't want to kill my chickens... I want all of my potential chickens to hatch... only 2% of me wants that so I can brag to Mayor Tom about it. The other 98% is just excited for the baby chicks and the feeling of accomplishment that I successfully hatched them!

Oh, and the Tractor Supply chicks are becoming chickens! It's amazing how much they change day by day.

This is Willow.


They grow up so fast... 

No comments:

Post a Comment