Sunday, March 13, 2016

Fluffy Butts!

The royal household now has eight little fluffy butts in the brooder and 10 unpipped eggs remaining in the incubator. Unfortunately one of them pipped but was unable to get out, or the poor chick had grown too large for the shell... I tried to help it out this morning, but it was already gone. It was a pretty little bird with black feathers... I know it happens but it is still sad.

Since that was the last pip for the time being, I was finally able to move the chicks out of the incubator and into the brooder, and I cleared out the empty shells. It's easier to control the temperature and humidity if chicks and eggs are separate, and eventually the chicks will need food and water.

We're on day 20, and I have hatched a theory that lighter eggs pip earlier than darker eggs. Because that's what's happened. We have brown and brown speckled eggs that haven't pipped, but the blush and white eggs all magically turned into chicks. I think the remaining eggs are Australorps and Barred Rocks and/or Rhode Island Reds.

The King redesigned the brooder to accommodate the new chicks and the older chicks. They are separated by a cooling rack, but can interact with one another, so by the time we put them in the coop they should all get along.


I find it odd that you have to show them where the water is, but they find the food on their own.


I dipped their beaks into the water as I put them into the brooder. And for good measure I did it again after a few minutes. 


The are so much fun to watch, and much less afraid of the big giant hand than the Tractor Supply chicks.

Eatin' time.


As you can see, Howard is quite large... and the ducks are quite interested in our babies. But right now they're more interested in a huge clump of grass that the King dug up for them.


We started to fence around the coop but the weather was not cooperative today. I feel like getting the supplies and sinking the posts were probably the biggest hurdles and next weekend we can make good progress. 

All I know is that I'm ready for the ducks to be out of the brooder...

No comments:

Post a Comment