Monday, March 14, 2016

Eggshausting

Being a chicken can be so eggshausting.


She looks dead doesn't she. Sometimes I have to stop and watch them breathe because they lay beak down and flatten themselves against the floor of the brooder.

You may notice that one of these things is not like the rest... Mayor Tom gave us another baby chick today. He managed to hatch one but doesn't have other chicks its age to put it with. So we have an Ameraucana chick now. It's like the universe gave me back the little chick that perished in its shell.

The remaining 10 eggs still show no signs of pipping. It may be that they didn't survive when the incubator went haywire, or maybe they were too hot and grew too large in the shell. We'll see, there's still time. Thursday will be day 25, after that it's unlikely they will hatch, but just to be sure I'll float them in water and see if they move.


It's amazing the difference a couple of days can make. Our hatchlings are zipping around the brooder like nobody's business. They're fluffy and I'm already seeing little feathers. 

The new guy hatched last night and he's stumbling around like he's had too much to drink. I have to remind myself that he's tired, and not to worry if he plops down and sleeps a lot.

The TSC chickens are in something of a middle ground. They're getting bigger and love to perch. They can flap their wings a mile a minute. Some of them are growing calmer, and after the initial airlift out of the brooder, they're content to perch on our hands or shoulders. A couple are still skittish.

The ducks... ah the ducks... just big mess makers and they take up a lot of space. They squeal when you try to pick them up and are more likely than not to poop on you if you do. Have I mentioned that I'm ready to put them outside???

And the Queen is finally working with someone to find a home for Tucker. I listed him on a few Facebook sites as free to a good home but was told by several people that's a good way to turn him into a bait dog. Truth be told you can see in his face how submissive he is and he does run that risk. People out here are incredible... But some people are good, and the lady who contacted me is going to find him a home or place him with an agency. After speaking to her I have a good feeling about it. She's been doing rescue for 19 years.

There was one person who inquired about Tucker. Asked how old. Then how much he weighed. Then wanted to meet somewhere. Just seemed odd to be so quick and not want to visit first (not that I wanted them out here to see our dogs), so I'm glad this person contacted me and offered to help. I want him to find a good home, he's a sweet dog and I can tell he's already been through enough by the way he acts.

So life continues at the royal palace. We are currently overrun by chickens, dogs and waterfowl, but we're putting the pieces of our puzzle together and getting it sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment