Sunday, February 21, 2016

Little Red Chicken

Today we finally made it happen. And by "we", I mean Mayor Tom, because in all honesty, the King and I have wanted to take action for a long time now, but always got caught up in the planning stages.

Mayor Tom kicked our butts into gear and took control of the situation.

I know... what? What happened? What did Mayor Tom do???

Well first there was this.


An incubator with 40 eggs in it. 40 potential chickens. I recognize that some of them won't make it... but if 10-15 of them do - we have our first flock!

One of the eggs is a tiny little silver sebright. And I'm already in love with her. I know the egg is a girl. And her name is going to be Lily... Lily White the Silver Sebright.

Okay, so I'm not 100% sold on the name... but it's a thought.

And later, there was this.



An almost chicken coop.

Which is almost finished on two sides.



We'll finish it next weekend by putting the rest of the sides and the roof on. And then we'll have to fence around it so the chickens have a yard.

As if that wasn't enough to make my day... THIS happened.



A chicken. A real live five week old chicken - with feathers and everything.

He or she has a gimp leg and I am going to attempt to rehab it. The Queen, chicken physical therapist. 

So far, the chicken absolutely hates me and runs away as quickly as it can - but I will make it love me!

We did a brief (supervised) doggy introduction. Daisy was fascinated by the chicken. It was glaringly apparent that Bo wanted to eat the chicken. Good thing the coop will keep that from happening...



Until then we have gates up to keep our chicken safe! It's going to be a happy, healthy, LIVE chicken.

And once our coop and run are built, Mayor Tom said I can have a Sebright rooster. Woot!

WE FINALLY HAVE CHICKENS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment