Monday, February 29, 2016

How to entertain chickens

So far the Queen has attempted to splint Red's leg... twice... and to Red's credit he/she has been pretty cooperative. Still, it's hard to do when you have two hands and one of them is cradling a chicken. So tonight, Mayor Tom will be coming to assist with the procedure since the King is dealing with truck issues.

I just hope it works because the leg is getting visibly worse and I'm growing more attached to my chicken. It seems like he/she is almost knock knee'd, and sometimes when Red lays down she sticks her leg out and leans to the side.

So the protocol has changed... 

One q-tip broken in half, each half wrapped in cotton so there are no rough edges to irritate the skin. Wrap the leg in gauze to further protect if from damage. Place one q-tip half on the inside of the leg, and one on the outside of the leg, to keep the joint in place. Wrap medical tape around the splint. Then I will hobble the legs like you would for spraddle, because things seem to be headed that way anyway.

Red probably won't like it, but a Queen's gotta do what a Queen's gotta do to save her chicken!

Until then... I have been reading up because reading is what I do.

First, about different types of "litter" you can use in a brooder and a coop.  Sand (not play sand, but construction sand without added silica) looks like the best option. It dries faster, it's siftable so I can scoop the poop, it retains heat, and when they're outdoors it isn't a good breeding ground for mold or mites. I'm sold. Gonna get some and try that!

I also read that if you put a clump of grass or dandelions from your yard (as long as you haven't sprayed the yard with chemicals) it's not only entertaining for the chickens and ducks, it's also good for them because it exposes them to the bacteria, nematodes and soil... and it can make them healthier. Sort of like an infant drinking breast milk transfers immunity. So I pulled me up a clump of grass and I think the video speaks for itself - the ducks in particular are thrilled!



All this time I've been wanting chickens and never really planned on ducks. That's what a cute face will do for you. Anyway, ducks are bigger foragers than chickens which probably explains their delight with the grass. And the fact that they eat more is why people say not to use medicated feed, because they could overdose.

"I will just sleep here thank you!" said Howard.

"We'll see about that," Red replied.


I am happy to report that Red has made his/her peace with the ducks and is no longer chasing them around the brooder. The first couple of days were a little rough for the ducks but now they snuggle right up together.

I was having an issue with the water constantly disappearing, and not into the chickens and ducks... rather it was just being absorbed into the pine shavings. We had one board down already, so I added another one for height and made sure the chicks could still reach it. I think it's helping, so far the shavings are dry and I don't see chips floating in the water (or poop, which has gotta count for something).



Their little feathers are getting bigger! Side note... one of these pullets will be named Druscilla. Leaders have to make decisions on the fly, so I just decided. Which made me think perhaps this will be the Buffy flock. Yes, you're looking at vampire chickens.

Back to the brooder... last thing for the day, the roosting bar. An old cabinet tension bar from the rv with medical tape on it so it isn't slippery. About two inches off the ground. One little chick tried to perch on it... before I got the tape on so she just slid right off. But they need practice and it gives them something else to do with their time.



... should also be entertaining to watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment