Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Road Less Traveled

The Queen had to drop the King off at the airport the other day. The airport is over an hour away so more often than not I prefer the expedient route rather than the scenic one, because most routes around here are scenic. But... there is always the road less traveled, places I have yet to explore in my more than two years in the area.

I decided to turn the return trip into a sightseeing trip, taking my time and exploring roads I normally pass up. I apologize in advance, it was spur of the moment and I didn't bring my camera so most of these pictures were taken with my phone.

There is a town where they first reduce the speed limit from 55 mph to 45 mph and then further reduce it to 35 mph. The royal Mini hates it. And then cops wait in the median, on the shoulder, in parking lots... anywhere really, hoping to catch people "speeding" through town. The Queen hates that.

This route avoids that town. I'm not sure it makes the trip any quicker because the roads are hilly and winding and it may even be a longer route, but it is certainly a more enjoyable one. And if you choose, you can make a side trip to the dam.


So I made the side trip. There was a beaver playing on the rocks, but by the time I saw him he had already disappeared. He didn't build this dam so the Queen let him go about his business.






Further up the road there is what is known as a 'scenic overlook'. When the Queen notices signs for a 'scenic overlook' it is usually worth a look-see.

This one was no exception.





My GPS didn't know what to do... Where are we? I don't know. I think we're somewhere in this general area. Just keep driving... drive faster, I think I hear banjos.

Also, look at that hairpin turn coming up! How exciting - the royal Mini loooooves hairpin turns! Though this one is not as exciting as another hairpin turn that's just down the road. which is really more like a hairpin that got stomped on. It's pretty much a left hand turn... but it's not.


The view from one of my favorite farms.




A little western vignette in the east.




A giant's toes peeking out of the dirt. Hello!




My favorite thing... an empty road. I can get out of the car, stand in the middle of the road and not get mowed down. Yes, I did actually get out of the car and stand in the middle of the road, all the while imagining a car coming out of nowhere at a ridiculous speed and mowing me down.


More old buildings in the weirdest, most unpopulated places.



We have barns all over the place. Some are red, some are black, I even saw a green one the other day. And then there are the tobacco barns that don't have siding on them just a roof and beams. They hang the tobacco leaves from the rafters and the air circulates around them to dry them out.


A branch of the family tree.


Grain silo and a Civil War Trail sign.







Tobacco. We see a lot of corn, soybean and tobacco crops out here.


Tobacco barn in the distance.



Corn, most likely field corn for cows. Even though cows aren't supposed to eat corn.

Or maybe it's for ethanol. Even though cars don't really need ethanol.



One of four local lumber mills. It's amazing that we have any trees left, but we do.







Wild blackberries... vicious little creatures. They grow everywhere out here but the fruit is hard won. Between the thorns, the bumblebees and the beetles it's almost not worth it.

Almost.



A house that is rotting... it's too bad no one took care of it.


The 'backwater'



Another old garage in the middle of nowhere.



And then, the Queen was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment