Monday, July 20, 2015

A Day in the Life of the Queen (with pictures)

The Queen's finger got quite the workout today.

Allow me to explain.

As you drive around in a rural area, oncoming drivers lift their index finger from the steering wheel in greeting, so you also lift yours. It's a gesture that would probably get you run off the road in suburbia as it would be mistaken for aggression because it looks like they're pointing at you. "Hey, it's the Queen!" But no... they acknowledge everyone.

In fact, around here it is expected. If you don't do it you're stuck up... Well, the Queen knows her history - don't make the peasants angry or your head ends up on a platter where the cake should be. I like cake too much to let that happen.

So I oblige.

I had an appointment with the girly doctor today. You can rest easy knowing that the Queen's girly bits were not assaulted with instruments of torture in the form of mascara wands and popsicle sticks, it was simply an appointment to get my hormones checked. I am highly pleased with my new doctor, she laughs at my jokes and I didn't have to wait forever to see her (my royal time is valuable). And I didn't have to disrobe! Or fill out a questionnaire! Or tell them NO I don't take pain medication!

Out here so many people sell pills that they are extremely - and I mean extremely - put out if you take pain meds. Some doctors won't even treat you... and I'm not talking about prescribing pain medication to you, I mean some flat out won't accept you as a patient if you take pain meds. If you do need pain meds you have to go to a pain clinic.

I decided to document my journey because I always see things that I want to get a photo of but tell myself I'll make the time to do it 'someday'. I also see roads I want to travel but I say 'I'll wait' and pass them by. Well someday never comes and two years later I'm still saying it. So no more... I decided to stop putting it off and just do it.

Cookeville (pronounced Cookvuhl, much like Louisville is pronounced Lew-ah-vuhl) is a cute little town with not one, but two town squares full of restaurants and quaint little shops.

And this train.



This building used to be a fire station. And that used to be the Tennessee flag... Now the state logo is a ridiculous abbreviation... but I'm not sure people got the memo... or they did and probably burned the memo because it was stupid.



And it cost a lot of money...  $46,000... for this:


Could have done that in about five minutes myself, but wouldn't have because it's letterhead... not a state logo. 

But moving on...

Train depot



Cool sign... or most of a sign... I like the different shades of the wood they used.




Why do people always want to kill the dragons?

I missed national ice cream day yesterday, but I partook this afternoon. I would have taken a picture but it was melting so fast that there was no time for a photo op.



The Queen may no longer work with NASA, but she still has fond memories of her time there and felt a sense of pride as she saw this sign:



You can read about him here if you'd like.

A rock quarry or mine of some sort. The Queen did not trespass, I stayed in my royal carriage and snapped the photo through the window.



I hope you know what this is without me having to explain.

Look at all the muscle on this doe! And she wasn't the least bit afraid of the royal carriage or the music coming from within. I rolled up alongside of her, barely two yards away, rolled down my window and snapped several photos. She was very obliging.



Standing Stone Rustic Park.




I love the way the rocks look like a Butterfinger bar. Or maybe I have it backwards. But it's still beautiful to me. My perfect home would be in the middle of a forest with rocky overhangs like this, and a creek running by.



Dam. Or the back of the dam anyway. I thought it looked very royal and moat-like.

I believe that is a one-lane bridge, but feel that it must be for golf carts because even in my Mini I thought it looked a bit narrow. I gave it a pass.



But did venture out on foot to take photos.



Love the way the water reflects the trees








Double dam!



Scary swinging tension bridge. It's deceptive because it looks solid, but then when you step out onto it, it bounces.



I often wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to put the road on top of the hills instead of blasting into them to make a more level road... but it does make for a gorgeous presentation.

And it's empty. God I love an empty road.





The mighty Cumberland River with mist swirling about the edges









The Queen loves farms...



The Queen (and her royal carriage) loves the roads around here... the twisty, turny, hairpinny, ups and downs of country roads. And the very little traffic.

I love this little ribbon of road.





Old falling down country stores... once spectacular buildings that are just falling apart.



No Ethanol.

We see these signs a lot around here. They claim it doubles your gas mileage. I'm not sure it's quite that magical, but something tells me cars run better without it.



The end of the adventure.

I have been enjoying these little babies a lot lately and they almost assuage my sushi fixation, little sheets of dried seaweed that look like glass in the light.



The royal hounds did not partake in my adventures today, but they are spoiled and spending the day outside exhausts them. Mr. Bo-Bo is always so adorable when he sleeps. He's adorable when he's awake too, but sleepy Bo-Bo is super-duper adorable.


And give it up for sister goldfinch! She has put her spouse to shame, her athletic abilities far exceed his... I am humbled. She could take the easy road and sift through the bird seed in the feeders, but she prefers it farm fresh. You go girl.



And now the Queen will join her royal hounds for a brief siesta. It was a beautiful day but also a long one.

On a serious note... Last night we found out that one of our friends passed away in his sleep. He was our age and it was not expected. It never makes sense when someone goes before they should. Rest in peace Chris, thank you for being a part of my husband's life, and briefly, mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment