Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Window

As the Queen works, I sit on the couch with the tv on in the background. I get up throughout the day to take care of chores, let the dogs in and out (and in and out), feed them, feed the chicks in the brooder, feed the chickens and ducks outside... But what probably keeps me sane is the view out my window.

I can look to the left and see clouds and trees and cows. And I see a lot of birds. But anyone who has followed me for any length of time already knows about the birds.

Yesterday I stepped up my game. I got up and managed to make it all the way to the window to get closer shots of the birds.

It's not that I haven't gotten up before... no, the problem is that they usually catch me and fly off before I can get a photo. But yesterday I apparently donned an invisibility cloak and caught them.

This is the best time of year because they are still migrating and we get birds that aren't always around.

These guys usually stick around. 

  This house finch is a serious flight risk. But they stick around, too.


The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks? They're just visiting.


They're so pretty. They have a splash of red on their chest that looks like a heart, but when they spread their wings they also have red in their armpits.

Yes. I realize they don't have armpits but wingpits doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

It's nice to see that they all get along.


Unlike the hummingbirds who could probably eat a lot less if they just stopped fighting all the time.

And just because I'm showcasing our gorgeous birds. I took this over the winter but it's one of the best photos of a bluejay I've gotten. 


They tend to stick to the perimeter of the yard, which puts them in the shadows and makes it harder to get a decent photo... I need a better zoom lens. Don't get me wrong the lenses I have work great - but I always feel like I could use a little extra reach.

Grass is always greener, eh?

In the business world, I submitted a press release and it was picked up by 132 media outlets. I didn't get The Tennessean or The Houston Chronicle, but I got some pretty big names that I was able to post on my website.

The website is pretty much complete and I think it's the best one I've ever put together... which may or may not be saying much.

Been working on Instagram and Pinterest, deciding whether or not to use Etsy, and last night I watched some video tutorials about Photoshop effects so I understand better how to use it. I created some cool pieces and am thinking about entering one into a contest. 

The contest site is an online community for photographers and it has some pretty cool stuff so I may look further into that as well. Oh, and I set up my private Facebook page for people that sign up for my email list, Backwater VIP.

So today is about housework... laundry, dusting, trash removal... fun stuff that the Queen has to do because no one has stepped up and offered to do them for her. You're all horrible subjects... the worst... but I love you anyway.

Adieu...

No comments:

Post a Comment