Thursday, April 21, 2016

Talking Turkey

A couple of days ago I went to a friend's house. She had some chicken supplies she wasn't using and decided to give them to me. AWESOME! I came home with a nice metal feed dispenser and also a metal water dispenser.

*happy happy joy joy*

The Queen got a tour of her amazing place... a gorgeous piece of property on top of a hill that's so peaceful and serene that it feels like a retreat. But a lot of that has to do with Laura. She's very relaxing to be around.

It also didn't hurt that the closest neighbor was a cow.


Who doesn't love that?

And she has pileated woodpeckers too!


I don't know where ours live, they fly around and laugh at us, but I think they live across the road.

I haven't seen any turkeys wandering around our property this year. But at Laura's house, this guy just walks up to the bird feeder.


It was a nice visit and made me pine even more for a better piece of property than what we have. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful we're here, and we are slowly but surely making improvements... but it is slow going and what I really want is to be on a hill with lots of trees and some water nearby.

Ah well.

Today I finally got my seeds into some dirt. I planted all kinds of tomatoes, peppers, greens, radishes, carrots, and onions... Some of the seeds were older and may not germinate but we'll see.


Our neighbor came back and disc'd the ground so that the clumps are broken up, so after we add a few things to it and the King tills it all in, it'll be ready for planting... and the Queen will FINALLY HAVE A GARDEN!!!! It's really happening!!!

Plus, we have concrete blocks thanks to Holly, so we can also put the greenhouse up and maybe I can grow some lemons and limes of my very own.

As for the chickens, they're good. The tweens love life in the coop, the elders and the ducks still don't quite get it. They venture out a little, but it's like the TSC chickens aren't as smart or adventurous or friendly as the chicks we hatched.

That said, Red did gave me a scare yesterday...

I went in to check their food and water, and he was stuck behind a cross brace in the coop. I don't know how long he'd been like that, but once I got him loose he wasn't holding his head up and seemed to be even less mobile than usual.

I seriously thought I was going to have to work up the... not courage... but distance... to be able to put him down.

But I wanted to give him a chance to recover and see if he was just dehydrated. So I brought him inside and put him in the brooder with food and water close at hand. Last night he still looked bad and slept with his head pretty much buried in the pine shavings.

But this morning he is bright-eyed and moving around as much as he ever does... eating and drinking and turning so that he can gaze out the window. When I walk in the room he chuck-chucks and looks at me. He's Red again.


The pictures don't do him justice. He's starting to get some green-black feathers in his tail, and he's all nice and shiny. He's such a sweet bird, so neither of us wants to put him down if we don't have to; if he is suffering we will. At this point I think he'll go in with the Silkies because they're a more gentle breed.

On the work front, my website is 90% done. I got all the products up and then put it up for review, got some constructive criticism (all of which I agreed with). So I'm working on a couple of things and then I'll do a press release and try to launch next week.

It's terrifying.

I like my art, I hope that other people like my art. The scariest part for me is not knowing with 100% certainty that the finished product is going to look like it does on my computer screen. I'll be sending files to a printer and they do dropshipping so it goes straight to the customer... which means I kind of have to take it on faith.

That said, I did love both the prints I ordered a few weeks ago. So it's helped to know that they turned out as I'd hoped.

The website is BackwaterStills.com. I'll be doing Facebook ads and working on my Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook pages... Need to do a video or two... Still lots of work to do. AND I will be working on my next collection in the meantime.

Somewhere in there... I will find the time to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment